If you are worrying about how criminal hackers steal financial information or other sensitive information, this article will help you understand some ways to keep yourself safe. Financial related crime is also a cyber crime because ways of stealing of money this days are normally done with the help of computer, hacking tools and the criminal idea. Cyber crime is not limited to stealing of financial and confidential information like debit card or debit card detail, bank account login detail, bank and other financial related records.
Protection against any cyber crime depends on type of cyber crime; each type of cyber crime has different protection method. Protecting your own device (your personal computer or mobile device) will always keep you safe against cyber crime and knowing common types of cyber crimes and how to protect against them let you understand and recognize cyber crime. For all cyber crimes in general, you should know how to protect yourself base on your regular activities on your computer or mobile device. Your regular activities may include Online Shopping, Social Media Surfing, Internet download, Online Banking Access, Emailing, Website Surfing, Google Search, etc. However, complete protection of own device and understanding of various cyber crimes is important. Below are list of information on how to protect yourself from cyber crime.
How to Protect Yourself Against Cyber Crimes
1. Keep your Operating System Secured and Updated
It is mandated to keep your operation system secured and updated by configuring basic security i.e.: Microsoft Windows Basic Security Setting and Install updates / security patches when required or automatically.
2. Use Good Antivirus Software
For protecting yourself against unwanted and harmful programs that destroy or change the function of your computer, it is also mandated to install and use Strong Antivirus Software on computer.
3. Secure Your Web Browser and Other Application Software
As Web Browser is one of main target for hackers because of many activities that you do on it, Web Browser Basic Security Setting is necessary before using your web browser. Criminal hackers hack variety of information through web browser; your information like Emails, Passwords, Credit Card detail, Bank Account and other confidential and sensitive information.
4. Use VPN while on Public Network
Public network at your home or workplace network or any public Wi-Fi may not secured. It is highly possible that malicious hacker within the network hacks into your computer or mobile device. Install and turn on Internet VPN on your computer or mobile device to help you encrypt and keep your data safe against Identity Theft.
5. Use Strong Password
Password is important security in form of word or string of characters used for authenticating user to gain access to a resource. It recommended using Password Generator or creating strong password manually (by using Capital and Special character i.e.: &#@$(!) with your password)
6. Secure your Home Network
Securing your home or workplace network helps Protect your Network Against Common Cyber Attacks. Necessary security settings are done on network router, Configure your router and do Basic Network security Configuration on your home or workplace router that keeps you safe from cyber attacks.
7. Keep your password and personal information safe
After using a strong password, it is also important to keep it and other confidential information safe. The followings are some methods to keep confidential information safe.
- Be sure about who you are giving your personal or financial information to. Don’t give out personal information on the phone, through the mail or over the Internet unless you’ve initiated the contact or know who you’re dealing with.
- Before you dispose your old computer or mobile phone, get rid of all the personal information stored therein. Use a Wipe utility program / Hard Disk Eraser to overwrite the entire hard drive.
- Install and use Anti-Spyware Program to protect against User’s Activity Monitoring and Identity Theft i.e.: password and other sensitive data.
- Protect yourself from Phishing; do not click links or download files send from unknown person. You need to also observe link or file thoroughly before clicking or downloading them, link or file may be harmful or link may contain fraudulent link requesting for information that may lead to financial loss.
- Keep your password strong and private by storing them in an encrypted storage device, do not safe your confidential information online (i.e email, browser, mobile application, etc.) and be sure about who you are giving your personal or financial information to. Continue reading
Complete protection according to above information and regular protection updates by checking, apply latest protection updates and repeating the same protection periodically; i.e monthly is recommended. You also need to observe link or file thoroughly before clicking or downloading them, file could be a harmful file or link could be a fraudulent link requesting your information that may lead to financial loss.